The cold nights are drawing in and being prepared for winter can help us to stay safe.
Below are some tips on protecting you and your home. Good planning can also help to reduce maintenance and utility costs.
- To save energy, during the day heat only the rooms that you are using and warm up the bedrooms just before you go to bed.
- When the house is warm ensure you do not allow the heat to escape through open doors or gaps in and around the windows.Draw your curtains as soon as it starts to go dark. This will not only keep you warm but it will also keep costs down.
- To help save costs on your energy bills, make sure you are on the lowest possible tariff with your energy supplier.
- Ensure you know where your water main is in the event of an emergency and to prevent pipes freezing, insulate those that are exposed.
- Consider having your heating system checked by a professional.
- Make sure all smoke detectors are working with fresh batteries.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm near the boiler and any fireplaces that get used.
- Check all hand rails outside to make sure they are strong enough to prevent a fall and extend far enough to provide ample support.
- Make sure all entrances are lit by lights connected to motion and light detectors.
- To keep the garden safe make arrangements to remove any falling leaves to avoid slips.
- Make arrangements for snow removal.
- Make sure snow and ice removal tools are on hand.
With Canopies UK we offer a wide range of canopies and carports so you can protect yourself from the bad weather and prevent any slips and falls.
Are you ready if there is an emergency?
Blackouts and snow-ins can occur during winter months, so take a moment to prepare yourself and your family for such emergencies. Having the following items will help you make it through an emergency.
- Bottled water
- Non perishable food items
- Phone numbers for your utility companies
- Battery backup to protect your computer and other important electronic equipment
- First-aid kit
Getting ready for winter can help minimise interruption in our everyday lives both at home, and when we are out and about. Even doing one or two simple things now could help save you time and money.